(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently June 18th, 2018, 6:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 12:46 am 
2000+ Posts (No Friends)

another thing that really pisses me off with modern RTS games is this "special" character like some high rank orc wanker in warcraft, or a german general in afrika corps vs desert rats. they are not allowed 2 die and offer "special moves" as such which is just bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 3:08 am 
500+ Posts (Sunshine Shy)

i tried tha ac vs. dr demo and it went to the bin as soon as the fucking enemy guy came taunting me, got his tank blown up and i was told he "slipped away" :roll: :roll: :roll:

i liked sudden strike as well... would have liked it if you could build in it... that would have been great... build a base, set up defenses etc...

i was bored yestarday and started looking for old games on kazaa... found something called "age of empires 3 starwars"... i downloaded it, just for the kicks, thinking it would be some other shit just named that way as stuff usually is on kazaa... turns out it's a lucasarts "mod"...official name is Galactic Battlegrounds.... if any of you liked aoe2, you should try this... it's cool having r2 droids as peasants, x-wings, y-wings, speeders, wookies, gungans, trade fedearation and of course jedi and sith...you name it.... the balance is a bit different (read worse than the original) but it still isn't bad.... the jedi and sith are a bit shit though.... bounty hunters too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 8:40 am 
4000+ Posts (Social Outcast)

AOE was shite arcade crap aswell, rise of nations was a vague improvement, but it just turned into a zerg fest aswell, the only well done RTS' where C&C (for it's time), Red Alert (except for the get 1 unit to here without dying missions) and StarCraft, one or 2 of the later ones had some good bits (proper 3D, deformable terrain, use of cover/indirect fire, but wrecked it with arcadyness, poor controls or stupid difficulty levels. I'd like to see an RTS with a good stratagy game incorporated, where the computer doesn't 'cheat' or just start with better forces, to up the difficulty, and it didn't just become a case of global domination, the trouble with most stratagy games is that you tend to work up to one all or nothing battle (or a few in a short space of time), and after that it is just a case of trawling through mopping everything else up with no challenge, the best so far is the Total War series, though that is a stratagy game with a decent RTS tagged on, it still falls way short though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 8:47 am 
2000+ Posts (No Friends)

I love command and conquer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 9:41 am 
I am a pathetic post count raiser

Perimeter looks OK. Taliss is playing it atm and seems to be enjoying it, it's not his preffered usual game type so it must have something good about it. I'll be installing it this weekend to have a look at, not really bothered with an RTS since Age of Myth which I really enjoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 3:12 pm 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

I feel I should mention Total Annihilation which is my favourite RTS of all time. Considering its about 5 years old and I've played it as recently as last Sunday its really stood the test of time. The graphics are still very presentable and the gameplay IMHO is still yet to be bettered in an RTS which is more than could be said for many other 5 year old games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 3:28 pm 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

C & C tiberian sun was my favourite, would still have the odd game now and then if it worked with XP ](*,)