(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently April 22nd, 2018, 12:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Logitech Harmony Smart Control
PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 2:07 pm 
250+ Posts (Start Worrying)

As the missus is generally confused by more than two remote controls (now up to 5 here, and she has recently approved a multi-zone AVR which will make 6...) I have ordered a Logitech Harmony Smart Control to consolidate all of these into one remote control, or my phone.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-control

I had (have, it is somewhere in storage in the UK) an ancient Harmony model but this new one also has bluetooth (for PS3 owners), and you can hide everything in a cabinet and get extra IR transceivers so you can deal with line of sight issues and gadgets stuffed in stupid places. One downside I am aware of is PS4 is not supported by this yet, but I guess it will be in some update this year.

Hopefully will have it tonight and be able to review it on the other side of the weekend - which for me is dominated by the return of F1 with a competitive Williams!

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Logitech Harmony Smart Control
PostPosted: March 15th, 2014, 12:01 am 
250+ Posts (Start Worrying)

So, it arrived this afternoon. Have setup almost everything (would all be done but the missus wants the telly!!!) and what is setup is now working pretty well.

Instead of the old Harmony software for the older remotes that runs as a proper application, you have to set it up either in a web browser (Silverlight plugin) or from your Android/iPhone. I went down the browser route as configuring stuff on a nice big screen should be easier.

Harmony knew about all my devices already, with the exception of the 'Viaplay Box' - a Swedish IPTV thing. No problem, just had to teach it the remote control - which involves pointing the unknown devices remote at the harmony, pressing buttons, and telling the Harmony software what they do. Harmony has been around a while, and has a MASSIVE existing database of devices. You can check online before you buy somewhere on their site if they have your device.

The supplied remote is RF, and should work some way outside the room the hub is in. Likewise the hub is wifi, and as there is a phone app you can control it from your phone wherever there is wifi.

You have to be patient during configuration. For example:

* To change audio inputs on the device that powers my speakers normally you cycle through the inputs with an input button. There is an optical button also, which is the only button that goes right to an input device. When you turn it on, it goes to the audio device last used. So to guarantee you are going to the right input I had to customise each 'activity' to select optical, then cycle though to the right input. That sounds like a pain, but is actually quite simple and takes a min to fix per device.

* Sometimes it takes a number of attempts for it to 'learn' a new button press (like with viaplay box above). Although most of the time it is fine.

So after a couple of hours it works well. I can for example, press the button I have dedicated to play PS3, which will turn on TV/amp/PS3 and set everything to the right inputs. Press the telly button it will turn the PS3 off and change TV/amp to the right channels. The missus is very happy, I don't have to find where she has 'tidied' (aka hidden) the remotes, and I have a shortcut button to flip all my gadgets to the F1 quickly tomorrow morning at 0700!

Image Image