(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently April 22nd, 2018, 12:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Tablet
PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 9:50 pm 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

I might soon be in the market for a cheap tablet. I want something primarily as an eBook reader kindle type thing (I presume you can get a Kindle app for Android?), and for web browsing from my sofa. The smart phone is OK but it's just a bit too pokey for proper book reading, even though it's got a 4" screen. One of the reasons for wanting a Kindle eBook reader is that there are several books I'd like to read, but are out of print or nearing it, and as such the prices shoot up to ridiculous wallet gouging levels. £20+ for an old paper back, fuck off! The second hand prices are generally just as piss taking. Whereas the Kindle price is just £3.99. I do prefer the feel of a real book in my hand, as you can quickly flip back to sections to refresh your memory of characters or events etc, which obviously is a more fiddly time consuming process with digital books. However I have read a good way through Treasure Island on my mobile phone and found the experience better than I was expecting, so I should be OK with a larger good eBook reader. And if I'm going for a wireless tablet device then I want it to do a bit more than just read books, hence I'd also like it to do at home web browsing type things etc. For web on the go I have my phone.

At the moment I'm rather liking the look of the new Kindle Fire HD, that's sits pretty much at the top end of what I'd want to pay for something like that though.

iPads are out of the question, they're just way too expensive. Also I'm really not too confident about buying one of these cheap Android tablets the Chinese and others seem to be knocking out at a rate of knots. They usually seem to have varying problems with either the display resolution, viewing angle or battery life etc. Plus then there are issues with continued support etc. or any support at all.

Or do I pay even more and go for something like the Samsung Galaxy Tab2?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Oh yeah also forgot about the Nexus 7, but again that's another £40 more than the Kindle and I don't think it has HDMI out either.

This one looks to be the best of the cheap and Chinese, Ainol Novo 7 Flame, £119 so £30 cheaper than the Kindle HD and £80 cheaper than the Nexus 7 . In some ways it's better than it's big name counterparts, higher HD resolution and most importantly it also has an SD card slot. However there's that uneasy feeling of what if it develops a fault? Presumably I'd have to end up sending it back to China for an RMA fix.

Post subject: Re: Cheap Tablet
PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 11:30 pm 

Ive got the nexus 7, got loads of books and comics on it. For the book reader I use aldiko, and for comics I have an app called Perfect viewer. Got all the walking dead comics , AvP etc.
I've rooted it, and got loads loads of free games :wink: Ive got a mame emulator, snes emultor, shit loads of roms. Great bit of kit for the price. No HDMI out, but not bothered about that, got PS3 for blu rays and stuff.
Battery life is excellent, can get 8hrs of video playback.

Heres a video showing the emulators on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rjw-XnYfWA he is using a wii controller, but I am using the PS3 controller through bluetooth

I got the 16GB model, and no where near filled it up, got over 10gb free.

I did have a cheapo tablet, and regretted it. Nexus 7 is a bargain for the specs. No I am not being paid by google for this review lol :dance:

Good for watching TV whilst having a dump with TV catchup, streams live TV

Edit:

SCREEN
7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)

Back-lit IPS display
Scratch-resistant Corning glass
1.2MP front-facing camera

WEIGHT
340 grams

MEMORY
8 or 16 GB internal storage
1 GB RAM

BATTERY
4325 mAh
9 hours of HD video playback
10 hours of web browsing
10 hours of e-reading
300 hours of standby

CPU
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
SIZE
198.5 x 120 x 10.45mm

WIRELESS
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth
USB
Micro USB
OS
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

FEATURES
Microphone
NFC (Android Beam)
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope

Post subject: Re: Cheap Tablet
PostPosted: September 26th, 2012, 11:18 am 

Yeah the Nexus does look pretty tasty, shame the storage isn't expandable, but then for what I want it for that shouldn't really be an issue. A real shame about the lack of HDMI out though as it's be nice to play emulated games on the telly. I've got quite afew of the best emulators on my phone, like Snesoid and Gameboid. What with the Quad core muscle of the tablet it'd be just ripe for playing games on the telly. Shame, bit of a missed opportunity there.

Whilst the Kindle Fire HD has HDMI out it's gimped by the fact that it's running Amazons own system ontop of it's Android base. Meaning you're pretty much locked into their store and their web browser etc. Also they spam you with adverts, although apparently you will be able to pay a $15 fee or something like that to opt out them.

Yeah I don't really want to go for a cheapo tablet and regret that either. The cheapo phone I have is great whilst it works, but it went kaput nearly 2 months back and the fuckers still haven't repaired it yet. Waiting on parts etc. Seriously, how long does it take to ship a part from Taiwan or where ever it is? It reminds me of the days when I used to be a contract Apple Support Engineer. Their warranty service was dreadful, probably still is for all I know. They never had enough parts to carry out warranty repairs as they barely had enough to fill their regular orders. It took us over 2 months to get this guys G3 fixed once. In the end they had to get a replacement mainboard sent over from Germany or Belgium or somewhere in Europe. Apparently we were lucky to get that as there were only 3 spare boards left on the entire continent! We couldn't even get the guy a new machine as they were back ordered up to the hilt for months.