(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently April 21st, 2018, 11:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 Headset
PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 11:30 am 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

Bought myself a new pair of these "Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 Headset" last week. I know a couple of you as well as myself had a pair of the older style Medusa's so just thought I'd compare and contrast what is different with these.

As with the old ones they are a 5.1 surround headset with true 5.1, ie the headphones feature individual speakers for the different channels. There are other headsets that claim to be 5.1 but just use a simulated effect through standard stereo speakers. The headset plugs into your PC via 4 audio jacks and one USB connector for the power. So the most obvious change with these over the old ones is that they now no longer require an external mini amp. Which is great as it free's up a bit of desk space and a power socket and thins out the tangle of wires behind the desk a bit.

Getting started, the biggest challenge I faced was the 4 audio jacks, one each for the front, rear, center/sub speakers and mic. Despite my built in sound card on the PC being full HD Blu-Ray capable audio, it only has 3 audio sockets on the board. One for the front speaker out, a mic and an input. However on the front of the case I also have another front speaker out and mic socket. I was fortunate on two counts here, one is that they've been very generous with the length of the leads and the second is that through the Realtek audio control panel I am able to retask the audio ports. So I have ended up having to plug into the onboard sockets the front speaker jack into its default front out socket, the center/sub into the mic and the rear into the input socket. Then in the front of the case I plugged in the mic and USB lead. Obviously it's not ideal having the leads split around the front and back of the PC but it was either that or buy a sound card just for the sake of neatness, or send the headphones back. After retasking the ports to the appropriate channels it was then just a case of changing the speakers to a 5.1 setup in the control panel.

Putting the headphones on, another noticable difference is that they have been less generous with the size of the cans themselves. They still fit over my ears but only just, and no I don't have big ears, the size of the ear pad is about a third smaller. So if you do have big ears you might find these new ones do not quite fit you.

The other change is the in-line volume control, which has now got a bit more chunkier and has a power on/off switch and controls for the front, rear, center and vibration. The vibration controls the amount of bass rumble.

Once all up and running, as with the last pair, they sound great. In BF3 for instance gunshots and explosions sound meaty and pack a real punch and have a sense of depth about them. Just short of £50 might seem a little pricey for a pair of headphones, but if the build quality is anywhere near as good as the last pair, then they should last me for a good few years.

Post subject: Re: Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 Headset
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 1:34 am 
2000+ Posts (No Friends)

I've been on the look out for a reasonable surround headset, so I will look these up.

Also, on-board sound is always a bit pony...

http://www.ebuyer.com/121761-creative-soundblaster-x-fi-xtreme-audio-soundcard-oem-30sb079200000

One of the best £40 purchases i ever made. You don't notice the difference, until you try it.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 1:58 am 
Site GOD!

Dr Burt wrote:
I've been on the look out for a reasonable surround headset, so I will look these up.

Also, on-board sound is always a bit pony...

http://www.ebuyer.com/121761-creative-soundblaster-x-fi-xtreme-audio-soundcard-oem-30sb079200000

One of the best £40 purchases i ever made. You don't notice the difference, until you try it.

Well you're not going to notice the difference before you try it are you? You retard.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 8:58 am 
2000+ Posts (No Friends)

Stfu dog