(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently April 22nd, 2018, 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 1:04 pm 
4000+ Posts (Social Outcast)

Ah - Silentkill, the PC guru to the stars.

Well, just two small flaws in that plan - firstly, TRU don't stock the SSD Linux model. And secondly, I can't just format the drive and install XP as I don't have a spare XP install disc (with genuine licence) hanging around, and buying one adds to the cost.

The upside is the 80gb of space will come in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 1:46 pm 
Site GOD!

Viscount Charles wrote:
XP install disc... genuine licence... buying one...

VC's taken to speaking in tongues :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 4:16 pm 

There are good reasons for needing genuine stuff on a laptop I take to work with me. Hence I'm sticking with the included open Office rather than looking for a dodgy MS Office download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 6:00 pm 

Having done a bit more research (always handy, doing the research on an important purchase *after* having spent the cash :roll: ), it looks like the 1000H HDD model is the one to have.

HDDs are *faster* and actually consume *less* power than the cheap SSDs fitted to netbooks; although there would be an improvement with an expensive SSD, avoiding unnecessary expense is half the point.

The speed issue is down to the likes of Asus using cheap, slow SSDs; the power consumption is due to laptop HDDs having all sorts of cleverness to save power and SSDs being powered 100% of the time when the machine is running.

The only real advantages of the SSD model are that it's quieter (well that's hardly an issue - I can't hear the fan running on my Eee, and the HDD is the quietest I've ever owned too), cooler (figuratively and literally; but the Eee doesn't get uncomfortably hot anyway), and more robust (though if I drop the Eee I suspect that more than just the HDD will be buggered).

So the 1000H is faster and has a better battery life than the 1000 after all, plus 80gb of storage (which is more than I realistically need on a laptop anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 7:31 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Well I can report that the Sony Vaio NR is a seriously good bit of kit. I still can't stand Vista though, it makes me pull my hair out sometimes with its over careful checks and safety systems.

The Vaio is really well put together, the screen is amazing picture quality for a sub £400 laptop. Nice keyboard, excellent wireless speeds, even faster than my desktop. I have even managed to get some games on there. Installed Darwinia and Defcon, they run great. Also got Half life 2 running nicely and just installed Spore which I thought might lag a bit, but it runs great at 1280x1024 with low textures.

Really impressed, can play and surf on my sofa quite happily with a 2-3 hour battery life. The only down side at the moment is that the OS won't let me install drivers that havn't been approved by Sony. I downloaded the latest Intel graphics drivers to be told that these are not compatible with the hardware. Its a bit annoying, but I can only guess that Sony reckon the existing drivers are ok. I must admit they are pretty good, would never have thought I could run newly released games like Spore on a budget laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 8:15 pm 
2500+ Posts (Start Thinking About Help)

Not connected to this but if you bought a laptop with only a gig in and it was running vista would that work ok if your only requirements were to run ms office?

By the way - I downloaded openoffice (the open source version of office) yesterday - seems ok but is it all fully compatible both ways?

The same person is on a budget and could do without buying the full office suite and Im loathe to stick a hooky copy on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 9:19 pm 

No. It's Vista, so it'll break at some point. Even MS themselves are acknowledging that it is dead (by talking about Windows 7 a couple of years ahead of their normal upgrade schedule).

I've not found any problems with the word processor yet, but did have some trouble with a spreadsheet that had been created in Excel (it was loaded with macros, though). I'm feeling more comfortable with Open Office now I've had a go at using it - looks and feels a LOT like Word.

Finally, ditch IE and install Google Chrome to weird them out completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 9:59 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Had a go with Google Chrome last night. Its a bit awkward to use, I couldn't find the bookmarks anywhere. Not a bad browser though, but to be honest Firefox 3 does everything I need, and I'm used to using it so might struggle to convert to Google.

Having said that, I remember using Yahoo as a search engine, then Google came along.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 10:49 pm 
I am a pathetic post count raiser

Chrome keeps crashing for me or not displaying the webpages, I think I'll wait for Chrome 1.0 as Firefox is absolutely faultless atm.

I am impressed with Chrome's speed tho so once the beta testers have sorted the problems it should be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 11:36 pm 

Not had a single crash yet with Chrome. the way it handles bookmarks is extremely weird, but faster/easier than the way every other browser does it once you've worked it out (the downside of Chrome is that it does virtually EVERYTHING differently, and often hides stuff that you have become accustomed to having in plain sight).

Post subject: Re: Netbooks - eg Asus EEE PC
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 11:21 pm 
I am a pathetic post count raiser

Looks like I'm gonna be picking up the Asus 1215 when it arrives, perfect little Netbook with all it's RAM and Ion system with optimus. Perfect blend of battery life, portability and the ability to play BFBC2 on it :think:

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2010/05/18 ... d-snapped/