(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently April 22nd, 2018, 7:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bloody Apple Macs Grrrrr!!!
PostPosted: April 5th, 2003, 11:03 am 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

I could really begin to start hateing these things with a passion, absolute shite. I just had a very frustrating morning sorting one out, I was very close to getting on a plane to America so I could shove it up Mr bloody Jeeves Stobs arse. Built in Gigabit ethernet and would it work, would it fuck, the only way I managed to get it to see the network in the end was to plug it into the old 10mbit hub. So much for the built in Gigabit ether and as for OS X, you think Win XP has a Fischer Price interface you should see OS X it looks like it popped out of a jelly mold. You think M$ are wankers, try dealing with Apple when a Mac breaks down.

Some days being a Sys Admin really sucks, the rest you just spend browsing the internet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2003, 3:31 pm 
sorry to hear you had to go through that :(

i had the misfortune of a close encounter of a mac kind when i visited aleksa's sister's lab... they use macs... no fecking wonder cancer research is so slow :P their logic is supposed to be "idiot proof", well, i must be an utter idiot then, 'cause honestly, they hide so well the concepts of how computers work behind their OS , that "computer 6th sense" is totally useless when dealing with a mac.... for christ's sake, I can make a sense out of everything that's electronic...except a fucking mac.... i mean, common, win 95 might be shite, but the first time i saw it, i knew where to look for what... and that coming from a fucking ATARI....

oh, and another beautiful concept.... single mouse button.... youppie.... "ma, ma, lookie, lookie, i'm an idiot, don't buy my a pc, 2 mouse buttons are too much, i'll get lost!"

end of bitching.... back to work, and back to M$ Access.... i can smell more bitching later on , can you ? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2003, 6:11 pm 
250+ Posts (Start Worrying)

My MacOS X experiences are similar.

What happened to the 3rd button with the wheel ? Oops, theres only 1 button .... ? :shock:

How do I display a context menu ? Whats my application menu doing up there ? What twat designed this ?

OMG, I really have to lay off of the LSD for a while, just look, the user interface has all gone funny . . . . . (to be honest, I'm not sure if I'd rather wear sunglasses for XP or look at a UI designed by someone on LSD)

Now, where's that command line prompt ? :shock:

What the hell is this appletalk shit ? I just want a TCP/IP connection to the web !

Been there, seen it, done it. :twisted:

I don't understand how they managed to f**k up NeXTStep this much. :evil:

And if you have the H/W, but hate the S/W then you can always install a decent version of Linux :)

FYI: ;)
http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy ... stmac.html
http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy ... softx.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2003, 7:02 pm 
hehehe

"look man, i've got the latest ATARI, so you can suck my balls with your obsolete PIII, uhhhh"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2003, 7:18 pm 
500+ Posts (Sunshine Shy)

My sister in law works with Mac all the time, at least till she tried to clean the HD a bit, and wiped the fucking Lot.....

Patient histories, everything....

Wankers don't believe in the "are you sure?" question :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Bloody Apple Macs Grrrrr!!!
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 10:46 pm 

lol good read, would read again, 9/10 :clap:

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:31 am 
Site GOD!

This was the glory days back when Chaz did a proper job for a living.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:24 pm 

Has some hacked Durd's account, why is he posting nonsense replies to all these old threads?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:39 pm 

im just trying to make the forum look lively for once :lol:

PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 8:55 pm 
Site GOD!

Made me chuckle :)

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 9:03 pm 
4000+ Posts (Social Outcast)

A colleague has just bought a new Macbook Air 11" laptop. I'm in the market for a new 11" laptop/netbook.

The Macbook Air is a thing of loveliness. Aluminium chassis/case, and thin profile, are especially impressive.

Then I tried using the bloody thing - only to hook it up to our wifi network and printer. The office Mac evangelist said that printing to our communal printer was completely impossible, he'd tried for months and ended up buying his own printer. Unfortunately he neglected to tell me (and I'm what passes for the IT guru around here - yes, we're *that* desperate), so I went ahead and set up the printing for another colleague two weeks ago, so I knew that it could be done, and in fact was a piece of cake.

Anyway, getting it to print is straightforward. But actually trying to navigate around the machine to do anything is like learning a foreign language. I'm British, FFS - we don't *do* foreign languages. We just talk slower and louder, until they understand.

Except the Apple isn't bright enough to handle verbal commends. Even the "go fuck yourself" command (and even the ZX Spectrum knew that one; if you were playing "Valhalla", anyway, where a character called Mary would punch you if you tried to get abusive; although technically not parsed verbally - you had to type it in. Which was my default method in adventure games, when inevitably I stalled at the first puzzle).

Anyway, the biggest drawback with the Macbook Air is the price. It's lovely, but it's also £500 more than an equally capable PC netbook. And given how easy it is for a laptop to get lost/stolen/broken, I'd rather not be in a position where a moment's inattention can cause the loss of almost a grand.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 1:27 am 
Site GOD!

You think printing from it is a pain, try installing software on it.

Pretty sure I read, the other day, that Dell have cancelled their Adamo line, which was the PC equivelant, due to poor sales.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 10:18 am 

The Netbook is being upsurped by the tablet now.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 12:11 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Dr Strawdog wrote:
You think printing from it is a pain, try installing software on it.

Pretty sure I read, the other day, that Dell have cancelled their Adamo line, which was the PC equivelant, due to poor sales.

The Mac app store makes buying and installing stuff a breeze. One click and you've bought and installed the software plus linked up to auto updates - it's basically the same as the iOS app store. It's also bringing the price of software crashing down. Final Cut Pro for $299us coming soon...

I'm just eying up the new 17" mbp with an SSD and some Thunderbolt goodness.

As for the Air, you may get a netbook cheaper, but it won't be as good. The screen is awesome.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 1:58 pm 
Site GOD!

I meant installing real software, the stuff that ships on CD/DVD - most people wouldn't want to do a full install of Logic Studio 9 (47GB) or Final Cut Pro (50GB) over a wireless connection.