(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gaming Mice
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 2:29 am 
250+ Posts (Start Worrying)

So gaming mice. Are they worth it? Do they do anything useful? Should I spank cash on one? Well, here you go with some answers based on some different mice.

1 - Corsair Sabre RGB
2 - Razor DeathAdder Elite
3 - Cheap-arse Microsoft 3 button mouse costing about 20 quid probably

Both the Corsair and the Razor have 7 buttons and configurable LED lights - several in the case of the Corsair. Lights/buttons can be configured via the manufacturers software. As these are mid-high end gaming mice, they have buttons that allow you to control the DPI which means you don't need to faff with a menu in the game to change the mouse sensitivity. This is the best thing about these "gaming mice" and something I found I instantly missed on the cheap arse mouse.

There are various settings on the Razor/Corsair, the most bollocks one is being able to set it between 500Hz/1000Hz/etc update rates. A human can't possibly tell the difference between most of these settings, except the stupidly low ones which you will never use. The Razor has a surface calibration utility which doesn't appear to do anything noticeable. They both have lift hight adjustment settings - this didn't make a bloody bit of difference on the Corsair but worked perfectly on the Razor. Obviously nothing like this on the cheap arse mouse.

The non-cheapo mice with fancy gaming sensors seem rather sensitive to surface types. The Corsair had a lift height of about 5mm on my mouse matt (Roccat Taito) which is completely ridiculous and unusable. It refused to work on my desk with no matt. After much testing, the only surface the damn thing worked on was a piece of white A4 paper. Basically, its shit at being a mouse. The Razor worked perfectly on everything except the bare desk surface. The cheap arse Microsoft mouse worked perfectly everywhere.

The gaming mice are supposed to feel good in your hand for extended gaming. The Corsair is heavy and the right side of it is hard to grip without it feeling awkward. The Razor feels awesome and feels like it was made for my hands, and with soft rubber grippy bits in the right places. The cheap arse mouse feels like a mouse should, and was the lightest of the three mice.

Lastly there is the action of the switches, meaning how easy it is to click them and how they respond. The travel distance and force required to activate a click was very low on the gaming mice, and "normal" on the cheap arse mouse. Maybe this saves a tiny unnoticeable bit of time in FPS, but it would be probably hard to realise a benefit from this.

So in a nutshell, some gaming mice are excellent (I'm keeping the Razor) some are shite (the Corsair is the worst mouse I have ever used, period, and it's going back) but do you get the benefit for 4x the price of the cheap arse mouse? Probably not. They do feel a bit smoother, and the DPI buttons are nice, and some fit the hand rather well. I'm keeping the cheap arse mouse as a backup though.

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Gaming Mice
PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 1:33 am 
500+ Posts (Sunshine Shy)

Interesting. Having small hands I generally use a basic mouse. I have been looking at the vertical mice which are a bit expensive http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mi ... -mice.html but none of us are getting any younger and rsi is a pain :cry:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 5:32 am 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

I've got a Death Adder, just for general use (on my Mac), and it's awesome. All the Apple stuff cripples my hand in short order and I've got a box full of supposedly ergonomic mice (including a couple of vertical ones - which were mega expensive) none of which made a blind bit of difference. Probably didn't give them enough time, but the vertical mice I tried were shite for gaming. I also had an ages old logitech gaming mouse which rocked, but the missus nicked that.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 5:37 am 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Larossa wrote:
Interesting. Having small hands I generally use a basic mouse. I have been looking at the vertical mice which are a bit expensive http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mi ... -mice.html but none of us are getting any younger and rsi is a pain :cry:

From that page I tried the Evoluent one and the 3M vertical one. Both sucked. Mrs Fnarr 1 also tried them and they ended up in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. YMMV.