(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PSVR & Skyrim
PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 9:15 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Did the whole Black Friday thing. For the equivalent of just over 200 quid, I reckon the PSVR is an absolute steal.

Skyrim VR is pretty awesome - it does look like someone smeared your eyeballs with axle grease, but once you get over the meh graphics, the sense of scale in the game is mind blowing. Sure that dragon looks a bit pixelated and blurry, but he's 50 foot tall and stood right in front of you. Really loving the immersion - no motion sickness to speak of either, even with the smooth movement etc.

Super impressed with the graphics is some games though - Rigs looks choice. Blows my Gear VR with S8 out of the water - even though that has a technically higher resolution. Must be some Sony magic going on.

Any other recommendations for games? I've got Bridge Crew & Worlds so far (plus the free Plus stuff - Rigs, Until Dawn)

Post subject: Re: PSVR & Skyrim
PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 1:18 pm 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

Well there aren't that many PSVR games that crossover with PC VR, but I did enjoy Robinson: The Journey. I actually enjoyed the climbing in that, more than I did in The Climb, which was the dedicated off shoot climbing game Crytek made off the back of it. I would have thought you'd be able to get that cheap now. Also I would have thought Resi 7 in VR would be a no brainer. The Rec Room is pretty good fun too, and it's free, and and I think it also does crossplay over all the VR systems. So if you get an account setup with it, let me know and we can have a game of something. Oh Super Hot VR is excellent too, I really recommend that. Dirt Rally of course if you want a good racing game to play in VR. The Solus Project is quite good, and I've had a lot of fun with Windlands, which will test your fear of heights when you first play it.

I'm still hoping that Skyrim and Resi 7 make their way over to PC VR. I would have thought Skyrim will eventually, as Fallout 4 is coming to PC VR. Don't know about Resi 7, I just assumed it would have had a PC VR patch or update or something like that by now.

Most of the best VR games I've played so far have all been the Oculus exclusives, with the exception of Elite Dangerous. Oh yeah and the Doom3 VR mod, which is absolutely bloody excellent. People moan about VR exclusives but it's easy to see what that money has bought, as the quality of Oculus funded stuff is a noticeable cut above the other indy VR titles. Super Hot VR was an Oculus exclusive for about 6 months. It's now on Vive and PSVR, but would it have got made at all if not for them taking the Oculus money? Probably not, but it still doesn't stop the idiots frothing at the mouth about it.

I have played Skyrim in VR, but using VorpX a 3D injector. It works quite well but with a few minor issues. No motion control or anything like that though. It's just like playing the regular PC version on k&m except in VR. On the plus side it means you can still use all the mods and things. But yeah, walking round Skyrim from a proper human perspective is really bloody cool. All the conversations and stuff just feel so much more intimate when you're standing there looking at the person like they're right in front of you. Generally the interiors fare much better than the exteriors in Skyrim in VR. Heavily wooded areas looking the worst due to the aliasing. On the PC you basically have to have all the settings cranked right up to the max, otherwise it can look quite blurry. One of the problems of VR when retro fitting old games with it, is that what looks great on a 2D screen doesn't always look great in VR. In 2D the detail and focus is usually all what's immediately in front of you, with the detail levels dropping off quite substantially as the distance away from you increases. That's fine when you're looking at an image on a monitor like a picture in a frame, but when you're stood there in it, that detail drop off becomes very noticeable, most especially in older games like Skyrim. Sure everything within 10 foot of you is in focus, but when you try to look and focus on a distant scene, you can't because the focus is fixed to your immediate area. Games made for VR tend to be built with this stuff in mind. Having said all that, Skyrim in VR is still a great experience. That first trip up to Bleak Falls Barrow in a snow storm was pretty cool, as was walking into Dragons Reach to have your first conversation with the Jarl. It's just great being able to revisit all those places I spent hours and hours in, and be able to see them with fresh eyes from a new perspective.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 2:51 am 

I'm waiting for a sale for Resi. Looks awesome though.

I just got Super Hot - thought that would be average, turns out it's awesome in VR. Doesn't look much, but heaps of fun to play - good 'quick go' game too - nice to play something which doesn't take hours. Dirt is good, but I need to build my VR legs a bit - leaves me feeling a bit ropey after a while and probably not as good as GT, which is great as far as it goes, but could use a few more modes/challenges in VR.

Until Dawn is really rather good, but scares the crap out of me.

Three demos I've seen have really floated my boat: Moss and Star Child, both platformy things which make terrific use of VR, and Dino Frontier, which shows how fab VR is for RTS/4X god games - that feels like real, next level Minority Report shit right there.

Not too worried about platform exclusivity. Sony have nailed that aspect this generation, so they are a pretty good horse to back in that regard. I reckon this Christmas will see a big shift in the number of PSVR users out there, and that'll make it an attractive platform to back for devs, and it's probably got another couple of years to run before we start getting into PS5/XBOX The Next One territory.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 11:00 am 

I'd like to see more "seated" stuff that isn't 1st person in VR. I thought Edge of Nowhere was rather good, and that was from an over the shoulder Tomb Raider type perspective. So a Tomb Raider game in VR would be great. Lucky's Tale was a decent, if unspectacular, Mario 3D style platformer. Chronos was a fixed camera perspective "Souls" type game, that worked really well. Although I was utter crap at it. Not my cup of tea. There's RTS's and side scrollers in VR. Not everything needs to be 1st person with motion control. I'd say about 85-90% of my VR time is spent playing games seated on your regular joysticks and joypads etc, rather than doing all the standing motion control stuff.

Down the line, I'd like to see much more parity between the VR HMD's and less exclusivity. Hopefully when Oculus feel a bit more confident in their foundations, they'll begin to open up their games and store to other VR hardware. At the moment I have some great VR games that I can't play with my Vive owning mate. Not sure about the Revive thing though, maybe that would work, but it would be nice to see proper open support. I guess Oculus still feel a bit small and vulnerable next to the behemoth that is Valve and Steam.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 8:59 pm 

Quote:
I guess Oculus still feel a bit small and vulnerable next to the behemoth that is Valve and Steam.

Yeah, 'cos Facebook are just a little start up, eh? :D

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 12:35 pm 

Dr Fnarr wrote:
Quote:
I guess Oculus still feel a bit small and vulnerable next to the behemoth that is Valve and Steam.

Yeah, 'cos Facebook are just a little start up, eh? :D

Well, in the world of digital computer games sales and development and all that, you could say they are. Although yes, they do have large pots of cash behind them. Having said all that, surely they'd be better off properly opening up their store and games to more VR devices. I hope it happens soon, because there's some great games on there like From Other Suns, that I'd like to be able to play with my Vive owning mate.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 3:00 am 

Not happening.

PSVR is technically the least good of the 3 so they need to establish a positive point of difference. Sony's big advantage lies in a) their install base b) the fact that they are fucking ninja at exclusives, so I can't see them sharing the love with Steam/Oculus. It'll be between Sony and M$ ultimately for the consumer gaming market. Vive is fucked in the long run. Facebook/ Google will nail the social, casual side with cheap standalone headsets.