(***LOGIN FIXED***) UKD Gaming Forums (***LOGIN FIXED***)

Where mentalists and gaming combine
It is currently May 27th, 2018, 1:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: £50 Asda voucher.
PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 4:34 pm 
5000+ Posts (You NEED! A Doctor)

Bogus Asda voucher

Had loads of fun at work this morning with this. Essentially there was a code for a voucher that gave you £50 off if you spent £50, basically giving people free shopping. The way we were told it, it was either a hack or a voucher code given in mistake to a customer. Either way it soon appeared on Facebook and was soon being spread around like wild fire. We had to cancel about 50 orders just today and there's plenty more still to go over the next few days. Of the 12 orders on my first run this morning, the first 7 were cancelled. Lots of new first time customers appearing on the lists, what a surprise. Chancers trying their luck. People were ordering things like 3 copies of GTA 5 and then slapping the voucher code down 3 times.

Very obviously a bogus code but my god it hasn't stopped people from trying it, even some of the regular customers. They all got their orders cancelled anyway, so even if it was their regular grocery order, tough shit, no shopping for them today. One woman had put orders in for the next 5 days, blitzing each order with that code. Next door neighbors had obviously given each other the code as well, as we had quite a few runs with multiple deliveries to the same street, much more so than usual. I had two right next door to each other that we had to cancel, one had put down £50 the other £100 in deductions. Also hasn't stopped some of the customers getting shitty and abusive about it either. I think most customers when told their order had been cancelled took it in their stride and thought "Oh well worth a try" sort of thing, but some ranted and raved and threatened court action etc. Yeah right, whatever, like Asda are going to give a shit because you tried to scam them with a code you got off Facebook. What were they expecting?

Post subject: Re: £50 Asda voucher.
PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 11:22 am 
2500+ Posts (Start Thinking About Help)

Where is ASDA IT based Chaz?

I have a few mates who work in Leeds (one of them invented some fish thing that even warranted a marketing campaign). Assumed the data centres would be up there in head office?

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 6:33 pm 

No idea to be honest. I don't do IT for them, I'm just a delivery van driver.

Gave up on IT after getting made redundant from my last job; had enough of it. Went to a few corporate bullshit interviews and thought, I really don't want to do this anymore. Just had enough of working in offices and had enough of fixing bloody computers, felt like I was forever chasing my own tail. I was doing IT for my local newspaper group and to start with it was like a nice family environment. Our local newspaper co however was part of the larger Northcliffe newspaper group and their corporate structure started becoming more pervasive to the point where we just became another cog in their machine. The atmosphere turned sour, gone was the nice friendly family feel, replaced with a cold soulless corporate environment. I had to start doing shit like appraisals and performance related crap, and I fucking hate all that shit. Got really depressed, felt trapped in the job and put on loads of weight grazing on Greggs pastries all day long. So the inevitable redundancy when Northcliffe merged with yet another newspaper co, came as kind of a relief. One with the caveat of having been made redundant right in the middle of the worse recession in decades. Still the redundancy payout was good, thank god.

Anyway got a job as a delivery driver nearly 3 years ago now, as I fancied doing some outdoor type work. It pays peanuts, but I only work 4 days a week; I feel loads better, physically and mentally. Lost loads of weight, back down to about a 34 waist, slimmest I've been since my early 20's. Still have no desire to go back to an office or IT again.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 10:32 pm 
2500+ Posts (Start Thinking About Help)

Ahh right - good for you. Working for the man is indeed a massive stinking cunt....

I keep trying to invent stuff - problem is im shit at it.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 1:28 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

I'm in a similar boat. Fucked off in my current job, trying to change industries but age is now against me.

Things seemed so different in 2001 :lol:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 4:27 pm 

Just about your only option for career change when you get older is to go back to college and do a night course or something, or an OU course. All the job re-training stuff is geared towards school leavers or the unemployed. Trying to change careers after you've been in one for over a decade is bloody tough. Obviously you've also got to be able to cope with the inevitable drop in wages. But if you are really unhappy with what you are currently doing, if you change to doing something that makes you feel much better, then you honestly won't care about the money. It might even work out for the better financially. I'm earning £500 a month less than when I was in IT, and yet my finances are in a better state now than they were then. The less you have, the more careful you are with it. God knows what I was blowing all my money on before, because there's certainly not much here to show for it, and yet I was regularly breaking into my overdraft. Which is something I haven't done now in the 4 years or so since I got made redundant.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 6:37 pm 
Site GOD!

I'm on £3k p/a less than I was 6 or 7 years ago and my wage is further reduced by being pro-rata as I only work term time plus 2 weeks - I wouldn't go back for £10k p/a more.

Never been a fat cunt though

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 10:28 am 

Yeah, you've probably just got high cholesterol levels, like most of the other naturally skinny people I know.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 11:49 pm 
Site GOD!

I generally don't eat loads of shit and keep fairly active, I find this tends to keep the weight off.

As for my cholesterol level I wouldn't know, I thought only fat people paid attention to such things...

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 4:13 pm 

My old boss had high cholesterol, he was only in his mid to late 20's and was skinny as a rake. I think cholesterol levels are more diet dependant; that and I think people have a genetic susceptibility to it. Even when I was at my fattest my blood cholesterol was completely fine. Just that most of the folks I know that have had problems with it have usually been quite skinny. The opposite of what you'd think really.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:07 am 
Site GOD!

How does a problem with high cholesterol manifest itself? If it's farting a lot, sometimes to such an extent you offend yourself, then I may well be a sufferer.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 8:26 am 
I am a pathetic post count raiser

I hope that isn't a symptom or my Wife needs a cholesterol check :roll:

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 3:21 pm 

Dr Strawdog wrote:
How does a problem with high cholesterol manifest itself?

A heart attack is usually an indicator of high cholesterol levels. Although apparently there's good and bad cholesterol and you have to balance the two, or something. I know, none of it makes any sense to me either. To me, cholesterol sounds like something you'd buy at a garage.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 5:48 pm 
I am a pathetic post count raiser

Chazmeister wrote:
Dr Strawdog wrote:
How does a problem with high cholesterol manifest itself?

A heart attack is usually an indicator of high cholesterol levels. Although apparently there's good and bad cholesterol and you have to balance the two, or something. I know, none of it makes any sense to me either. To me, cholesterol sounds like something you'd buy at a garage.

..or Boots.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 10:45 pm 
3000+ Posts (No Human Contact)

Chazmeister wrote:
Just about your only option for career change when you get older is to go back to college and do a night course or something, or an OU course. All the job re-training stuff is geared towards school leavers or the unemployed. Trying to change careers after you've been in one for over a decade is bloody tough. Obviously you've also got to be able to cope with the inevitable drop in wages. But if you are really unhappy with what you are currently doing, if you change to doing something that makes you feel much better, then you honestly won't care about the money. It might even work out for the better financially. I'm earning £500 a month less than when I was in IT, and yet my finances are in a better state now than they were then. The less you have, the more careful you are with it. God knows what I was blowing all my money on before, because there's certainly not much here to show for it, and yet I was regularly breaking into my overdraft. Which is something I haven't done now in the 4 years or so since I got made redundant.

Agreed... and i've done the college thing to get another degree (ive got 3 of the cunts now), but ive hit the age old 'need experience' wall again. I forgot how soul destroying it is after going through it 15 years ago.